Maybe instead of actually thinking of something to write today, I should simply type some letters and see if those come together to make a sentence.
a c d e f a s o p i j c b w y t
That isn't anything like a sentence, is it? It would take a lot of letters before I actually found anything I could understand - for example, seeing so or I have in the list of letters.
However, maybe there's another way I could use them. What if I tried to write words that started with the letters on my list?
Although counting does eventually fill a sheet of paper, it just can't be worth your time.
That doesn't fit in very well with what I'm saying, but it's still a sentence that makes sense. I was able to write that using what looked like a sequence of random letters.
Maybe now I could say something that sounds similar to that.
Although counting does eventually fill a sheet of paper, it just can't be worth your time. There are far better things to do than using up pieces of paper writing numbers.
What if I added in another piece?
What if I added in another piece?
You could read, you could sing, you could pour tea into teacups. All that's more valuable than filling your time by filling papers.
Look at that. I started with a random list of letters, and now I've found something to say with it. Now you're starting to understand how I wrote the song that I'm playing today.
(2026: Since I failed to mention that my music teacher helped me revise some of my compositions, I came back to say this. Also, I'm almost certain he gave me this idea for starting to write. How would I have come up with it myself? Coming up with licks sounds easier.)
I actually just started with a list of letter names for notes...
C E D Ab G B C D
...and a list of numbers.
...and a list of numbers.
6 5 7 6 3 6 1 4
Using those numbers, I could find the right chords to play with the melody notes I had written down. But I still didn't have that many melody notes - they still looked like a random sequence of letters. I would have to do something similar to what I did with my sentence... fill in the spaces to connect the notes together.
Using those numbers, I could find the right chords to play with the melody notes I had written down. But I still didn't have that many melody notes - they still looked like a random sequence of letters. I would have to do something similar to what I did with my sentence... fill in the spaces to connect the notes together.
It's hard to make sense of a c d e when there's nothing written to say what they stand for. In the same way, it's hard to hear C D E Ab as a melody when they're just sitting there on their own.
Now if you look at what I said at the top, you can see why there are some chord patterns you wouldn't expect. I wasn't using any framework to put the chords together - I just used some letters and numbers, and then found ways to connect them.
So that means I didn't really know what the song was going to sound like - not any more than I knew that I would write some sentences about counting on pieces of paper. That's simply what I decided to use to connect my letters.
If you have a skill in connecting random letters together, you can make them sound not so much like random letters anymore. That's why you're listening to this song today.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Tea with Liya was made to spread positive messages. Please remember to keep comments respectful and not to share private information.